intermittent camera abuse

Monday, September 11, 2006

Lammasu


I'm fascinated with ancient cultures, particularly Egyptian. Maybe it's more about the gods and myths and odd combined creatures. When I got to go to Britain and see the extensive collections of artifacts* at the British Museum from Egypt and Greece and others, I had a great time. I just wished that I could touch everything, but they kinda frown on that.

I thought that the British Museum had the coolest collection, but it wasn't until I got to the Louvre in Paris that I saw how good the French were at liberating great art. The corridors of the Louvre are like the Wal-Mart of ancient statuary and objects. Rows upon rows of sarcophaguses, (sarcophagi, coffins, whatever), Greek kouri, kraters, amphorae, and lammasu.

Lammasu are Mesopotamian creatures, much like the sphinx of Egypt. They have a man's head, lion's body and eagle's wings. And the ones at the Louvre tower over everything. I wish I had a person in a photo for scale, but just trust me when I say it's enormous. I took this photo on June 19th on our last day in Paris.

*either liberated, saved or stolen, depending on your point of view.

No comments: